Monday, June 29, 2015

Five tips for better photos-- even without a selfie stick!

Once upon a time before I had kids and when free time grew on trees, I spent too many hours of mine watching reality TV's low point: "Paris Hilton's My New BFF." You got to know Paris Hilton as a person who shops, models, and makes Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. She frown-smiled and occasionally pretty-cried when her "besties" were kicked off the show. And she judged them on everything vital in a friendship: how they posed on the catwalk, in a photo shoot, and even on the red carpet.
It was almost as good as it sounds. 
So when I was searching the internet on how to pose for photographs, I was so excited to see Paris Hilton as one of the examples of how you should pose! I was like, "Yes!! I can finally try to be her new bestie!!"
Or something like that.
Some of the websites teaching you how to pose are pretty good. They say, "Put your arms or hands like this," and then you see how it improves their photos. Other websites leave you wondering where the "after" pictures are. 
So last week's post was my "before." 
And these next pictures aren't "after" pictures. They're a step in the right direction and proof that I would never make it as Paris Hilton's BFF. But for my blog's sake, I'm going to keep trying.

Tip #1: Look up at the camera. Don't let someone take a picture from below you.
In that case, I need to fire my photographer. Or give her a raise! 
We tried with the photographer standing on a chair this time.
Tip #2: When you put your hands down by your sides, your arms squish to their very widest, giving proof the illusion of arm flab.

My right arm is doing its thing, but my left arm should be off to the side instead of behind me. 
I'm not sure that popping one knee is doing me any favors in a maxi skirt.


Tip #3: If you're not sure what to do with your hands, you can always carry a handbag or a clutch.
Or in my case...

Wow, I look skinny carrying my handbag!
Tip #4: I didn't read this on any website, but props are fun.
Pizza! Pizza!

Tip #5: Don't forget your middle child.
She's not my photographer or my handbag, but she's a sweetheart.

No comments:

Post a Comment