Friday, July 24, 2015

Maybe it's time to update the old jewelry box?

It would be an understatement to say I let my jewelry box collect dust. Because this is Brazil, and we grow mold here.

The entire back of my jewelry box grew a bumper crop of mold this summer, which I'm assuming wouldn't have happened if I had opened the cupboard once in a while. But I keep it in with my maternity clothes (hello, I'm not pregnant) and my sweaters (ahem, BRAZIL!), and there's just no reason for me to go in there.

Before we moved here, my jewelry box sat unopened in our house and in storage for about 18 months.

So it's safe to say I'm not really a jewelry girl.

And yet, here's a picture of my jewelry box anyway!
I have some nice things. My grandma gave me a little butterfly pendant for my 8th birthday. It has a diamond on it, and if you really squint, you can see it sparkling there somewhere. Still have that. My sister gave me some wooden beads from her 8th grade class trip to DC. Still have those. My mother-in-law gave me some VERY nice things that I could probably wear if I had something to go with them. Of course I still have those.

But when Sarah talked about "holes in her wardrobe," my wardrobe is like Swiss cheese, but with more holes than cheese-- if that's even possible.

I decided to try and fill some of the holes in my jewelry collection. When Sarah said that World Market has some great accessories, I don't know about you, but I headed over to check it out.

I've been to a World Market store before. It has a ton of cool stuff from all over the world (like it's a market... from the whole world). I didn't see any jewelry. That's the problem selling jewelry in a furniture store. Maybe I should have checked under the couch cushions.

But going to their website, I could find it immediately. All you have to know is how to spell "jewelry," which I obviously do. (That was a joke for my British friends. Enjoy.)

I found some pieces I will definitely add to my jewelry box, just as soon as I get the mold cleaned off:

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/gold+and+blue+flower+necklace.do?&from=fn
This would be a MUCH nicer necklace than the plastic atrocity I bought last month.
Real lapis instead of plastic. Imagine that!


I got a great gold and turquoise necklace in my Stitch Fix last month. My options to wear with it? Nothing. But these would look great:

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/gold+filigree+leaf+drop+earrings.do?&from=fn
Love these tiny leaf filigree earrings.
No, they're not ACTUALLY made from leaves, but for $4.99, I don't really care.
They look like it from here.

And speaking of jewellery that looks like leaves:

Oooh! I could wear this and pretend to be Arwen.
I should ask for a long, flowy elven maiden dress in my next Stitch Fix!
While I was looking around at World Market, I found this code to share with you all. If you click on it and use the code they give you, you get $10 off your order of $50. Not too shabby! And it gives me store credit for shamelessly promoting their website.

And you can all pretend to be surprised with me if I get these for my birthday next month.

1 comment: