Thursday, July 9, 2015

Distressed denim: Feeling torn

I'm feeling torn about the whole distressed jeans trend. (Groooooaaaaan! Sorry.)
http://www.lyst.com/clothing/dolce-gabbana-pretty-destroyed-washed-stretch-jeans-blue/
How much do jeans like this cost? Click and see!
I wonder how the factory workers feel, taking a cheese grater to some perfectly good jeans, and then knowing people will fork out $500 bucks for them!
Or what would our grandparents and great-grandparents say? "Um, you're buying them with holes ALREADY IN THEM?! Back in my day, we used clothes as rags well before they looked like this!"


http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-distress-jeans.html
Isn't the whole point of long pants so you DON'T have to shave your legs?!

Now that I'm supposed to wear pants with holes in them, should I also wear my nail polish all chipped and peeling off? Come on, I could be a trend setter!


And yet...

http://blog.stitchfix.com/distressed-denim/
I could wear this...

There are so many pretty outfits with distressed jeans. They make everything look effortless and casual. 

This, plus the ironically half-tucked shirt... very stylish.
And I know some teenage boys at church who would HATE to know how unintentionally stylish they are!
And yet, I'm not sure I'm 100% on board. I have no trouble looking casual and unkempt. That's actually my forte. I have some jeans already well on their way to being fiercely stylish!
But would I buy them like that NEW?

I guess my final opinion on distressed jeans is my opinion about tattoos: Some look great and some don't, but is it ever an improvement on the original?

Sorry, distressed jeans. I'm going to have to be a lot cooler before anyone would believe I was wearing you ironically.

No comments:

Post a Comment